The former president had swiftly denied the allegations and urged newspapers to “always cross-check their facts before rushing to publish false information, especially when being spread those who want to unfairly promote their own pride, against our own national interest”
In response to enquiries THISDAY’s sister broadcast station, Arise News Network, the British High Commission on Tuesday, March 7th, said the allegation that the RAF was over the area for a number of months and actually located the girls within weeks, but the Nigerian government under former President Jonathan turned down its offer to rescue the girls, “was false”.
“The British High Commissioner briefed me on that today (Monday) and said that the allegations are not true,” Rycroft said.
“But importantly, we won’t comment on specific additional details, which is a matter for the Nigerian government and the military.”
“Part of that crisis is terrorism and we stand with the government and people of this region and particularly the government of Nigeria in confronting Boko Haram in the Lake Chad Basin region. The UN Security Council applauds the works of the MNJTF.
“Talking about the UN sending a peacekeeping force: that has not been requested the government of Nigeria, I am aware. That we can do as a bilateral agreement with the government of Nigeria,” he added.
“And in this regard, we congratulate the government of Nigeria and Cameroun for signing the tripartite agreement with the UNHCR last week.”