REMARKS BY GBAGYI DEVELOPMENT UNION OF KADUNA STATE’S PRESIDENT, COMRADE PETER ABOKI, ON THE OCCASION OF 1ST CLASS CHIEF CONFERMENT ON DR. DANJUMA SHEKWONUGA BARDE, THE PARAMOUNT RULER OF GBAGYI CHIEFDOM, KADUNA STATE, HELD THIS DAY THE 15TH DECEMBER, 2018 AT THE PERMANENT PALACE SITE, KAKAU, KADUNA.
1. Your Excellency, words will no doubt be enough to express our profound gratitude to God and to you in person, Mall. Nasiru Ahmed El-Rufai, The Executive Governor of kaduna State, The Speaker, Kaduna State House of Assembly and the entire Honorable Members of the State Assembly, The Kaduna State Executive Council, The Chief Justice of Kaduna State, the entire components of Kaduna State Civil Service, The Chairman Kaduna State Council of Chiefs, His Royal Highness, Alh. Dr. Shehu Idris and the entire Council of Chiefs for working in synergy with His Excellency to bring this noble dream of a 1st class status to reality in Gbagyi Chiefdom.
2. Our joy know no bounds today as we are gathered to witness such a glorious occasion. We are indeed grateful for your intellectual courage, intellectual empathy, intellectual integrity, confidence in reasoning and fair-mindedness not only to take such long awaited gesture but also your outward recognition of Gbagyi as first inhabitants of the territory known today as Kaduna metropolis and its surrounding. You have also on many occasions made bold to educate all those who care to listen that the Gbagyi are peaceful and accommodative and their comportment should serve as an example to others.
3. But Your Excellency, do not assume us to be ungrateful if we draw your attention to Gbagyi chiefdom which has grown over time in terms of population and is home to a heterogeneous people. We beg your indulgence to please consider the creation of additional districts within the chiefdom in order to accommodate the ever growing population as we are very confident that in doing this, it will spur the further development of the chiefdom security wise, economically, socially and politically. It will also bring people closer to governance and also cover those gaps that may exist in governance such as security gaps, capacity gaps and legitimacy gaps.
4. We also beg of you to reconsider the on-going policy to rename our chiefdom to “Chikun Chiefdom” and our Paramount Ruler to “Osu Chikun”. Our collective preference is “Kadudna Chiefdom” and “Osu Kadudna”. We plead with you to help us sustain our culture and history as a people. In the same vein, we beg that the entire Television, and Kurmin Gwari should remain in Gbagyi chiefdom because these areas still have strong affinity to Gbagyi existence and heritage. May we also not take for granted your humility to remind you to reconsider the gazetted “Dnata Chiefdom” in Kagarko Local Government Area, as this will also carve your name in gold in history. This we believe also to be long overdue.
5. We wish you well in all your life’s pursuits. May you finish strong and well in this life and beyond.
6. We thank all who inspite of their tight schedules squeezed time to attend this occasion. May the Almighty accompany you safely to your various destination.
7. Long live Gbagyi “Knunu” (heritage)
Long live Gbagyi, Chiefdom
Long live Kaduna State
Long live The Federal Republic of Nigeria.
8. Thank you! Thank you!! and Thank you all!!!.
Yours in service,
Comrade Peter Aboki,
President, Gbagyi Development Union Kaduna State, for Gbagyi Community.