After last Thursday’s attack Boko Haram that left three of its aid workers dead, the United Nations and Doctors Without Borders have suspended all humanitarian activities in Rann, Borno state.
Secretary-General of the United Nation, António Guterres announced the evacuation of all humanitarian personnel and the temporary suspension of all humanitarian deliveries in the area.
The UN chief in a statement released, said at least one other aid worker remains critically injured and another three are still missing while eight members of the Nigerian national security forces were also killed.
“At the time of the attack, over 40 humanitarian workers were in Rann. All humanitarian personnel have been evacuated from Rann, and all humanitarian deliveries in the area have been temporarily suspended.” Guterres says
The Secretary-General expressed his deepest condolences to the affected aid workers, their families and to the Government and people of Nigeria.
In a related development, Doctors Without Borders have also issued a statement suspending all medical activities in Rann.
Three UN aid workers, four soldiers and four mobile police were among the dead in the attack on a military base in Borno last week.